For the past week, PACEAP, the makers of the iLok security system, have been releasing a new upgrade to their platform (you might have noticed this if you tried to access iLok.com) and launched it a few days back. After the launch, we received multiple support enquiries from VirtualKaty (VK) users on their difficulty in running VirtualKaty with the new platform.
Running VirtualKaty on the new iLok engine
We discovered a couple of things:
- You need to use a 2nd generation iLok hardware device. Old iLok devices are not compatible with the new platform. If you’re using a compatible iLok dongle you do not have to transfer your licenses.
- You need to uninstall the old iLok client helper libraries and install the new libraries afresh from the new iLok.com website. This tends to resolve a few issues related to crashing and freezes.
MAC USERS: Uninstalling the old iLok libraries and installling the new license manager. Steps are below:
1. Go to iLok.com
2. Download the new iLok license manager tool to your computer.
3. Open the .dmg file and you’ll see a script named “Uninstall License Support”
4. Run that script and make sure it cleans all old iLok files in the system.
5. Then install the license manager. This ensures you install the files without any old files conflicting.
This will ensure the system is cleared out. Once this is done you should be able to run VirtualKaty without any problem.
We are currently gathering further information on this upgrade. If you are having trouble running VirtualKaty or if you have any extra information on this, send us a message.